Thursday, August 11, 2011

Those Guilty Pleasures

Day Ten of Blog Challenge:  What are your guilty pleasure(s)?

I think everyone knows my guilty pleasures, since I write about them so much! 

As far as activities just for me go, I'm happiest when knitting.  I've been smitten for a few years now and I don't see the obsessiveness stopping anytime soon.  Those 10-15 minutes every morning, sipping my coffee with a project in my lap, are worth their weight in gold.  But I suppose I can't call it a "guilty" pleasure per se, since what I make is mostly for other people and I do make things for charity.  The other is yarn shopping.  I think that I may be in love more with the yarn itself than the act of knitting.  Just perusing the shelves at a shop, squeezing a skein or petting it for its softness...ahhhhhh.  Looking at yarn, dreaming of its possibilities.

Books are another guilty pleasure.  I love a good story.  When I was younger and living at home, one of my favorite guilty pleasures was if I woke up earlier than the rest of the family on a Saturday morning, to get a little bowl of ice cream and head back to bed with my book.  Starting a day off with ice cream and a book in bed still sounds pretty damn good to me!

I am also a sucker for beauty products and spa treatments.  I still adore beauty products at places like Sephora and Bath and Body Works, it reminds me of a candy store.  I don't spend a ton of money on that stuff anymore though, so when I do get new fancy products it is a rare treat.  I used to get regular massages, because they do SO MUCH for stress relief.  And pedicures too, because there's nothing like pretty feet.  My parents get me a gift certificate to the local spa every year for my birthday, and I still get so excited over it!

Here's an odd one:  I used to love back-to-school season for the new supplies that it would bring.  And I still get the same feeling opening a new notebook or package of pens.  I LOVE opening up a new box of Crayola crayons for my boys, because the smell alone takes me right back to grade school. 

What are your guilty pleasures?

No comments: