Monday, August 15, 2011

Dig Deep--First Memories

Day 14:  What is your Earliest Memory?


My first fuzzy-ish memory is coming home with my mom to the apartment that my parents rented when I was about two years old.  It isn't much, just that my mom opened the apartment door and I remember their cat, Sarah, darting across the room.  I don't know why this made an impression on my formidable brain.

My first very clear memory is around 2 3/4 years old, in October, 1979.  I can give that exact number because of the timeline of the memory.  I remember waking up in the same apartment, coming out to the dining room and seeing my father.  I asked where Mommy was, and my dad said  "Your Mom is at the hospital with your new baby brother!"  I don't remember meeting him, or my reaction to the news, just Dad telling me about my brother's birth.

I often look at my two boys and wonder what they'll remember later on, and what their first memory might be.  I look forward to asking them the same question someday!

No comments: