Friday, August 19, 2011

Open Book, Turn Pages, Repeat :)

Day 18:  What is a book you could read over and over again and never get sick of?


I have many, many, MANY books like this.  But if I have to pick just one....I choose "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner.  (and this year is the tenth anniversary of "Good in Bed...hard to believe!)

Get your mind out of the gutter, it's not that kind of book.  My mom reads this blog!  Shame on you!  :)
The main character is Cannie Shapiro and at the beginning of the story, her boyfriend has just dumped her and written a column in a magazine about falling in love with a "larger" woman.  She is of course mortified and the book takes off after that.

I've lost count of how many times I have read this book.  It's my go-to book when I am looking for a quick couple of paragraphs to keep me company at breakfast, or bored with nothing else to read.  The characters and Cannie's life as a whole just seem very realistic to me, and the ending is beautiful.  No, I won't spoil it for you, if you haven't read it go and check it out.  It was Jennifer Weiner's breakthrough book, and she has gone on to write a few others.  None of them grabbed me the way "Good in Bed" did, but my second favorite of hers was "Little Earthquakes" and I did enjoy the others.  She is also now the writer and (I believe) producer of the show "State of Georgia" on ABC Family.

Other runners-up for books I could (and have) read over and over:

"Not Without My Daughter" by Betty Mahmoody.    The story of a woman and daughter being kidnapped by her husband and whisked off to his home country of Iran in the eighties.  Riveting stuff, especially since it's a true story.

"Sleeping with the Enemy" by Nancy Price.  Fiction, about a woman who escapes her abusive husband by faking her own death.  My copy is worn out from reading it.

Both are dark choices for my usual sunny disposition.  Both feature strong women getting out of bad situations.  And although I enjoy the work of both Sally Field (Daughter) and Julia Roberts (Enemy), I didn't like either film adaptation.

What books do you have on your "repeat" list?

1 comment:

adventures in rhode island said...

i don't read many books more than once, but the one that i have read a few times was "The Hobbit". love that story! i will have to check out the jennifer weiner book, never read anything by her yet.