Day 29: List ten people, living or dead, that you would invite to dinner. Include the menu.
I'm not much for hosting BIG dinner parties. But if I had ten people to invite (immediate family not included in the ten, since they live here and would be here anyway), here's my list:
1. Alton Brown, for obvious reasons (and probably more for Hubby than for me)
2. My maternal grandfather, (aka "Pa") whom I've mentioned cooks a mean roast. Plus I've always wished that he could have met my husband.
3. My mother and father
4. My old friend Jen R of Crafty Mom of 3, who I don't see often and also loves Alton Brown
5. Jen R's husband Scott, a fellow foodie and lover of the Food Network
6. Jennifer Weiner, my current favorite chick-lit writer
7. Stephanie Pearl McPhee (aka The Yarn Harlot)
8. my brother
9. my sister-in-law
10. Julia Roberts
Also, Jen R and her husband Scott have three kids, and of course they would be welcome too. They'd play together with my kids, so we could all have adult conversation. And yes, I'm aware that I included my Mom and Dad as one person. Yes, I'm aware it's cheating. Oh well!
Now, Dinner. This is harder to come up with than the list, but I will give it a shot. We're going buffet style.
The name of the menu: All of Crafty Mama's Favorite Things!
Appetizer: chicken nachos from Chilis, (I really wanted these the other night!) shrimp cocktail, fried mac n cheese and a big heaping bucket of Price Edward Island mussels.
Salad: Caesar with fresh croutons and plenty of shaved parmesan
Entree: Roast Beef (my Pa is going to show me how he made his so I can have it whenever I want.) BBQ Chicken, mac and cheese, fresh bread and roasted garlic to smash on it, mashed potatoes, roasted mediterranean veggies, baked shrimp and feta over rice, cornbread, Brian's "Kabobs from heaven" (pineapple, green pepper, chicken, bacon and scallops) and Chicken Francese. Hot dogs and tacos for the kids, though they'd better save me a "Chicago-style hot dog!" Oh, and ratatouille over pasta for the Yarn Harlot, the only vegetarian in the group.
Dessert: Ice cream in several flavors, double-chocolate brownies, cookies for the kids, a flan and individual pumpkin creme brulees.
Now, who's hungry?
(Cross-Posted at "The Blue Plate Special")