Monday, February 1, 2010

Chilly Monday

Why is it that even though I am on maternity leave, I dislike Mondays just about as much as when I had been working??   I love the weekends, when Brian and I are both home with the boys and sometimes we even get stuff done around the house.

Chilly out there today.  Actually, it was chilly all weekend!  I ventured out with Will to Walmart on Saturday, and pretty much the rest of the weekend we stayed inside.  My parents came over yesterday for a little while.  They recently put their house on the market and there was an Open House, so they had to escape with their two dogs for a couple of hours.  (Someday we want to sell this house and move to a bigger one, and very idea of of having to keep the house show-worthy with two kids AND having to pack them and the dog up for showings is intimidating at the least!!)

Oh, and I got some knitting in. I have a few project going on, because I like to have different things to work on at the same time.   Here is what I am currently working on:

This is going to be a baby blanket for an old work friend of Brian's and his wife, who is due in February with a little girl.  The squares have been knitted for a while, I just need to take the time to sit down and sew them together.

 
Another baby blanket.  2010 is a very big year for having new babies to knit for!  This is going to be another one of those "carseat" baby blankies, the one with a hole in the middle for a seatbelt buckle.  I originally bought this yarn for a shawl, but didn't like how it was turning out.  So I've re-purposed it for a baby blanket.  Grape-colored yarn for a little girl, I figure she's already going to get a lot of pink!


 
This is a keyhole scarf, made from Noro Kureyon yarn that I got at Web's in October.  I hadn't planned on working on this ribbed scarf yet, but while Mom was here yesterday she showed me how to do a 2x2 rib.  I've been having a hard time with this on my own.  Once she showed me what I was doing wrong, I was unstoppable.   Another inch of knitting and I'll be ready to make the keyhole.
And of course, I still have charity knitting.  I always have a hat in progress on another set of needles.   So far, in between projects, I have made seven hats!  And all of them are from yarn that I already had kicking around in my stash.
I am having so much fun, and I'm becoming knitting-obsessed.  People often wonder how one finds the time to knit.  Well, first of all, you make time!  But one of the things I love about knitting is that it's portable and doesn't require a lot of set-up.  Throw your project in a bag, and do a couple of rows at a time.  Two rows at the doctor's office.  Several more at the hairdresser's.  One or two in between baby changings and feedings.  I seriously think a couple of rows at a time is what keeps me sane. And all those rows add up and I'll have created something beautiful in the little bits of time that have been given to me.

3 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

Good luck to your parents selling the house. I'm sure it'll go fast. As for you someday selling and showing the house someday, don't worry. Overall, it isn't too stressful. The worst part is when the realtor calls to tell you someone wants to come in 15 minutes, and you have a sink full of dishes, trash to take out, and trucks to clean up in the living room. Ughhhh! Somehow we sold our house in MI, but I'm still wondering how.

adventures in rhode island said...

your knitting projects look awesome and how cool is it you are still making the baby hats. such a great charity. and i LOVE keyhole scarves! i wore the one my sister made me today, i looked so fashionable :)

Shelly said...

LOVE the projects! I've really become knitting obsessed as well!