Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Banned Books List

I've finally managed to finish "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.  It's tough to finish a book when the most time you dedicate to it is standing by the crib, soothing a sleepy but stubborn baby!

This book was a real eye-opener.  I had never read anything by Maya Angelou before, and her biography of her childhood is shocking at times, including details of when she was raped by her mother's boyfriend at the age of eight and growing up in post-slavery racism in the American South during the 1930's/1940's.   Her writing is honest, beautiful and raw and I really enjoyed the book.  I looked at Goodreads reviews after I was finished and the average rating appears to be five stars.   Some people call it raw and empowering, others find it disturbing.  One reviewer even called it disgusting, adding that the details of the book made them sick to their stomach.  I wasn't surprised at all that this classic is often challenged and is on the original "Banned Books List."  Yes, I understand that people have a right to their opinion.  But I didn't find the book disgusting.  This is the story of Ms. Angelou's life, and the rape, though the details are just a small part of the book, really played a part of who she became and how it affected her life.  Without the details, she wouldn't have been able to illustrate to the reader what part it played in her later years.

After reading the book, it got me thinking about banned books.  I started a new shelf on my Goodreads account, "Banned Books."  Then, with a little help from the internet, I started sorting books into that category.  Out of the 500+ books I have listed (WOW!) I've so far found 11 that have been on a "Banned Book List" at one time or another.  I haven't spent much time on it, so I am guessing that there are more. 

I feel fortunate to have grown up in a household where my parents didn't censor what I was allowed to read.  My parents didn't freak out that I was reading "Are You There God?  It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that my mom picked that one up at a yard sale!  Nor did they storm the high school when my junior class was reading "The Catcher in the Rye" or protest when I listed my favorite author in the yearbook as V.C. Andrews.  I don't believe in censoring what kids should be allowed to read because of uncomfortable topics (Are You There God: religion, adolescence.  V.C. Andrews:  incest.)  Why should a group of people be able to sit down and make a list of books that nobody else is allowed to read??  I'm willing to bet that at the time these books were banned, the people doing the banning probably hadn't even read them!  

Since the original banning of these books (1970's/80's??) a lot of them have been allowed in schools.  But there still are groups out there that express their outrage by insisting that not only their kid not be allowed to read a book, that nobody's kid should be able to read it.  All I can say is that I will never be that type of parent that goes along with the crowd and reigns down on a school or library insisting that certain books are not to be read because of sensitive topics.  Without sensitive topics in books, how do kids learn about them?  (Judy Blume  has a really good take on censorship, and, having spent a long time on the Banned Books List, I believe she knows what she's talking about.)  The bottom line is, I don't believe that I have the right to limit what kids read.  I want my boys to grow up the same way I did, with the freedom to pursue whatever books they choose.

3 comments:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

I loved this post! I completely agree with your take on parenting and censorship...when I was in the 8th grade, my mom was asked to 'pre-read' a book before our class was allowed to read it (Z for Zachariah, AWESOME BOOK!). Apparently a whole panel of parents had to decide together that the book was okay for kids to read. I thought that was a little strange, by my mom, also, wasn't in to banning books from her kids' line of vision. I hope Zoey grows up reading whatever she wants to read, without some zealot parent at the high school coming down on her and screaming that her choice is inappropriate. And I'm totally going to check out your Banned Books shelf on Goodreads!

Anonymous said...

I read this book for my English class a few years ago. I found it very depressing and defintely eye-opening. Glad you got to read it.

Kristen

Anonymous said...

This may sound silly, but after reading your "Day in the life of" post, it makes me glad I had both of my girls in one shot. I don't know how you guys do it with two kids of different ages! At least mine can keep each other occupied, even if it does mean I have to play referee some days. :)

As far as the banned books go, I actually teach an entire month long unit on Banned Books. My 8th graders think they're "getting away with something" reading these books and after they research the reasons why they were banned, they actually end up arguing about why they SHOULD read the book. Ha ha! I tricked them...

If there's one banned book you need to read, it's Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The whole premise of the story is a society that has taken the practice of banning books to a whole new level. Books are actually illegal. A very eye opening book about life and where our world could end up.

Anywho, take care of yourself and give everyone great big hugs for me! Tootles!