Thursday, February 4, 2010

Missing Loveys

My thoughtful husband sent me the following article about children and their missing loveys.  What's a lovey?  You know, an object that your child has attached themselves to.  Typically, it's a blankie or a stuffed animal, but I've heard of plastic dolls, books, even a measuring cup.   I totally related to this article, but I don't think I'd go to the extremes that these parents did.  I've blogged about Will's Brown Doggie before, and some of the close calls we've come to losing him somewhere, driving back to somewhere Will has left him, even calling the daycare after hours to see if they have it.  I'll even cop to purchasing a "second" Brown Doggie on Ebay who turned out to look nothing like him.  (He gets attached to every little stuffed dog we've brought home, and totes "Brown Doggie and His Friends" around the house.  Like an entourage!)  But  shelling out hundreds of dollars as a reward for his safe return?  Searching for an animal that you lost in the early nineties and your child is grown?  If your child hasn't moved on by the time he's a teenager, then you have a more serious problem.  And you?  Should move on too! 

Brown Doggie has been getting more on my nerves lately.  That's probably because I've spent a lot of time looking for him.  Will has a tendency to lose him somewhere in the house almost nightly, which starts a search that could last hours.  He always turns up, usually in an obscure place like the dogfood bin.  (Which I suppose makes more sense than I thought!)    Just recently we've told him that he needs to be responsible for knowing where Brown Doggie is, and if he isn't found by bedtime then he goes to bed without him.  Surprisingly, he has agreed to go to bed without him and didn't wail all night like expected. I'm usually pretty irritated in looking for him, especially if the process takes more than ten minutes.  But I always experience that wave of relief his safe return brings.

I am hoping, however, that Sean doesn't attach to a lovey.  Hunting for TWO loveys every night might put me in the nuthouse!

3 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

If doggie is driving you a bit nutty, take a risk and hide it. He will probably be hysterical for a couple days, but then he'll be fine. He'll probably be fine in less time than you think, especially if doggie magically comes back in a month or so. He'll think that is the coolest thing ever... well, that's the theory anyway. :)

CraftyMomof3 said...

I agree about the whole "searching for 2" thing. It gets really tiring. Luckily I have Gilli who's older now who can search for Liv's 5 loveys that she can't live without!

Shelly said...

Summer doesn't have a lovey, but Brooke's lovey is an old shirt on mine.

Thankfully, it was a plain white shirt, and its not a big deal if she loses it, because I always keep a pack handy. And lately, she's been settling for any shirt nearbye.