Thursday, December 3, 2009

"Burping Juice"

The Scene:  A D'Angelos restaurant.  Brian and I had met there after work with Will for a quick dinner before Mommy headed out to finally see New Moon with friends.  (New Moon, BTW, better than Twilight but still...eh.  The kid that played Jacob Black was beautiful though!)

We ordered Will a kids meal with a ham and cheese sandwich.  Kiddo drink options were a bit limited, only lemonade and orange soda.  I already knew that Will didn't like lemonade, so yesterday was the first time we'd ever given him soda.  I brought the cup over to the table, and he immediately asked where his chocolate milk (aka beverage of choice in a restaurant) was.  I explained that they didn't have chocolate milk and that I had brought him an orange soda instead.  "What's soda?"  Knowing that he loves to "pretend burp" and then shout "EXCUSE ME!!!" and giggle, I told him it was kind of like a burping juice.  He was all for it....took a big sip.  And?  Immediately grimaced and opened his mouth, letting orange soda fly out of his mouth and seep into his blue t-shirt.  "Blech!  That's too hot!"  So Will's not a fan of carbonation.

Later on in the meal, I'm sipping my Diet Sprite with my pastrami sandwich, and Will begs for a sip of my "water."  I told him, "it's not water, honey, it's more burping juice."  "Yes it iss.......it's water!" he sing-songs back.  Well....ok buddy, here you go!  One sip and PAH!  Same reaction. 

So I have probably the only kid on Earth that doesn't like soda, and I feel lucky!  (though this obviously may change at any time)   I loved soda as a kid....and have the fillings to prove it!

2 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

Both of my kids despise soda too. Juliana tried it a couple years ago when she had a sip of Sprite at a birthday party and hated it. Recently at the bowling alley with friends, I told her that they only ordered a pitcher of Coke, so she could have some if she wanted to try it. She had a huge meltdown because soda was her only choice. My friends were laughing hysterically at me as I told my child that soda is ok. Kevin on the other hand, he'd probably drink it if I let him. The only time he has tried it was about a year ago, and he had the same reaction as Will. I'm sure he'd like it now. Who knows. I guess it is a good thing our kids don't like it. Hopefully they won't make up for it in their teenage years.

CraftyMomof3 said...

That is too funny because Trevor used to say the same thing! He would say he couldn't drink soda because it was too hot! And oh how I miss D'Angelos steak and cheese!YUM!