Friday, December 4, 2009

When Bees Attack....in December!

Ah yesterday.....a record-breaking day in New England, weather-wise.  It was gorgeous, almost 70 degrees!   Short sleeves to work, leaving the jacket in the car.....so nice!  Well, 'cept for one thing......

I had an appointment with my diabetes doctor in the morning.  I'm sitting in the waiting area, hoping to have my name called soon so I can get to work.  Suddenly, I feel this buzzing around my head.  This fly keeps swooshing by me, and I keep dodging and looking around me.  I'm sure I look a little nuts to the other people waiting, but hey, I'm used to that.  :)  The "fly" makes one more devil pass, and this time I can feel it just sitting on top of my head.  I reach up to touch it and have the sinking realization that it must be one helluva fly, because it's big and it's not coming out of my hair!!  Those that know me know that I am a total bugophobe....and it doesn't take much buggy-wise to get a hell of a reaction out of me!  Maintaining composure (and breathing deeply) I ask to use the ladies' room.  One quick glance tells me that I can't handle this alone.  So, with panic in my voice, I ask the receptionist for help with the monster fly in my hair.  She takes one look and freaks a bit as she tells me that's no fly, it's a yellowjacket!!!  AUUUGGGHHH!!! 

So, she's trying to swat at it, and when it finally unearths from my hair, I run for the bathroom and close the door.  That's when she decides to tell me that it keeps heading for the bathroom.  Double AUUGGHHH!!!!  No way am I opening that door.  What is it about my hair.....do bees like Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner?  Finally, it meets a deadly end with a fatal blow with a medical chart.  Meanwhile, I think everyone in the waiting area was ready for me to go into labor and have the baby right there.  Took me a while to catch my breath and keep my heart in my chest, but I managed.  Crisis averted, the bee is dead.

 Apparently, when you have a warm day in December, bees get confused and come out of the hive.  How it wound up in a doctor's office I'll never know!!

1 comment:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Not fun. And yes they love Paul Mitchell shampoo I'm guessing since I got stung a few years ago from the exact same scenario! Glad you didn't.