Monday, December 28, 2009

Mommy Talk

We were pulling Christmas leftovers out of the fridge (hooray for hosting, leftover roast beef and potatoes for lunch!)  and I was making Will a "jelly sandwich" for lunch.  I grabbed at a stack of toddler plates and one of them fell directly into the potatoes...and then I flipped the tupperware lids onto the floor trying to scramble after them.  Of course, they landed upside-down.  As I see the plates falling I yell out "Shoot!"  My husband eyes me and says "Nice catch." 

Folks....I have a confession.  I've got a mouth.  And since becoming a parent, I've tried really hard to rein it in.  But it is definitely my fault that Will knows the bad words that he knows.  Which is fascinating, since Daddy is the ex-Navy submariner, and military men aren't exactly known for their cleanly language.  (however, they are known for their cleaning and their ironing skills...this man puts me to shame with an iron and a board!)  It's my fault that Will repeats all sorts of interesting phrases and embarrasses me by calling me on the carpet.  He hasn't dropped an F-Bomb yet....but trust me it wouldn't be altogether surprising.  He has surprised me by repeating some beauties, but so far they've just been back to me or Brian and not out in public.  Other than to tell an elderly woman that his Daddy is a "bad guy."  He didn't get that one from me, I swear.  And I try really, really hard to hold back the colorful language until he's not around. 

Another thing that Brian and I are always marveling about is how parenthood makes you say things that you never thought you'd say.  My personal favorite is the time that I told Will that "pee-pees don't wear shoes."  (I was changing his diaper when he was about 18 months old, and he put a shoe on his pee-pee.  I rest my case!)

Got any that you want to share?   Have your kids repeated something in public that's turned your face a deeper shade of crimson?  What kinds of things has parenthood made you say that you never thought you'd say before?

3 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

I have to admit I laughed about 6 months ago when Juliana was cleaning her room and yelled, "CRAP, it won't go on the hanger!" She didn't see me laugh, thank goodness. Juliana is also now well aware that the "s" word is not "stupid". She learned that from school though. Also one day, Juliana asked me what a bitch is. She said a boy in her class called another girl a bitch. WHAT, they're 7 years old?!?!?

Kevin on the other hand, doesn't say bad words, but he has NOOOOO problems pointing something out if someone looks different, acts different, or whatever. She goes right to the person to tell 'em how it is. EMBARRASSING, especially when there is a gender issue.

CraftyMomof3 said...

We were watching Star Trek the other day and they said the word "ship" and Liv started yelling he said a bad word!!!!! She thought they were saying shit and decided it was a bad movie and wouldn't watch the rest of it.

The best ever was Trevor calling Scott a pr**k when he was 3 and Gilli called the skunk that lived in our yard a little bastard at the same age.

Anonymous said...

Toby says "What the hecks" and "Jesus Christ." Great role model I am!
He also can't say "funky." He leaves off the "n"!