Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hot Soup on a Cold Day

It's another one of those cooooolllld days, where it's raining and dark when it's time to get up.  (If I think it's bad now, wait til Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend!)  I have a crappy cold but even that can't stop my appointment with housing court today.  So it's off to get myself and two children ready to greet the day. 

Before I tell the story, let me give some background.  My job is a bit of a unique situation right now, with four days per week worked in a family housing development and one day a week at an elderly housing development in the city.  Today is Thursday, so I'm off to the elderly housing complex after a rousing day of housing court.

Housing court doesn't go as hoped and seems to take forever.  By the time I leave, the rain is falling and it's gotten colder, requiring me to pull out the gloves that I'm lucky I remembered on my way out the door.  I arrive at work, and it's bustling with activity.  After a very fast lunch of half a hot dog and two bites of coleslaw it's time to get some work done. 

After a lunch like that, of course you're starving.  That's when the Soup Angel comes....one of the residents brings me a hot bowl of homemade chicken soup.  I accept heartily, having had his homemade soup before.  And it is delicious--with Spanish-style onions, pasta, chunks of garlic, chicken thighs and red peppers.  The perfect thing for this cold, because of course I forgot the rest of the cold medicine at home and it's been hours since I've appreciated its effects. 

So today, I'm thankful for something simple like a bowl of soup.  It was the perfect thing of my afternoon. I'm feeling MUCH better! It really is the little things that make you happy.

No comments: