Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We Meet Again, Glasses

I was the kid in school who at age ten, could no longer see the blackboard.  A trip to the eye doctor revealed that I needed glasses.  Back then, getting glasses at that age in the world of mean kids, is like the kiss of death. Goodbye, dreams of being cool and popular.

  I also sucked at taking care of them, losing my first pair within the first two weeks.  My school years are filled with ugly pairs and nasty accidents.  Such as the time I was babysitting and their dog sat on them.  Or the time in 8th grade that the frame cracked above the right lens and I glued them together myself with superglue.  Only I didn't wait long enough for them to dry, and put them on.  You really haven't lived until you've superglued your glasses to your face!

I was always vain as a kid and wore them only when absolutely necessary.  I can remember going whole summers at the YMCA camp, not being able to see clearly but refusing to put them on.  I begged for contacts, but didn't get them until my junior year of high school.  There is a picture of me floating around, at the prom with my then-boyfriend, of me in a pink dress with red Sally Jessy Raphael glasses.  (I took them off for the "Official" photo, this was a candid shot.)  There was no such thing as "attractive" glasses back in the day.

Years went by, and I finally decided to see if I was a candidate for LASIK surgery due to my baby's fondness for whipping my glasses off my face and throwing them on the floor.  And surprise!  I was a candidate!  It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Seven years later.....I'm celebrating with a prescription for reading glasses.  Yep, getting older sucks.  I knew that something was up long before I finally acquiesced and made the appointment.  I know I know, reading glasses aren't as bad as wearing them all the time.  Back then, my vision was so bad that I didn't trust myself to go anywhere but in my own house without my glasses.

I went to Lenscrafters and picked out a "fun" purple pair.  Because if I'm going to have to wear them, they're going to have to be pretty.  I've had them since Friday, and I'm having a devil of a time getting used to them when using the computer, or knitting.  Luckily that "baby" that used to love to throw them is excellent at scolding his mom for not wearing her glasses.

No comments: