Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Spirit and Kindness

I feel like I've heard a lot more stories about "helping your fellow human being" and paying it forward this Christmas Season.  This is wonderful!  Given all of the negativity out there in the world, random acts of Christmas Kindness out there don't get as much publicity as they should.  I mean, we all heard the story about the woman out in California who, while shopping at Walmart on Black Friday, sprayed pepper spray into the air so that she could purchase a video game system before anyone else could get to it.  I mean.....that is a disgusting display of behavior.  And for every story like that that's publicized, you know that there are more just like it that you haven't heard.  

So when I read stories like the ones about Secret Santas paying off people's layaway bills for Christmas Gifts for Children, it shows that random acts are alive and well.  And I know that this one is true...I know one person in real life that had her Walmart layaway for her three kids' Christmas gifts paid off by an anonymous donor.  I say, way to go!!  THAT's the Spirit of Christmas!  This morning I saw on Facebook that one of my FB friends was in Burger King yesterday, buying dinner for herself and her three kids after a trip to see Santa.  She realized that she didn't have enough cash on her for everyone's dinner, so she bought dinner for the kids and nothing for herself.  Soon after, the manager on duty brought her out a tray of dinner, because an anonymous person had seen that she didn't have any dinner, and bought dinner for her.  BRAVO! 

All of these little stories like this, they reminded me of the movie "Scrooged" with Bill Murray, the big speech he gives at the end about changing himself and believing in the Christmas Miracle.  I'll close this post with a little blurb from it.  And with this:  I feel the Christmas Spirit this year, for the first time in years.  Merry Christmas to all!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And if you give, then it can happen, the miracle can happen to you.



Not just the poor and hungry, Everybody's gotta have this miracle!
It can happen tonight for you all!
If you believe in this pure thing,
the miracle will happen and you'll want it again tomorrow!
You won't say, "Christmas is once a year and it's a fraud." It's not!
It can happen every day! You've just got to want that feeling!
You'll want it every day! It can happen to you!
I believe in it now.
I believe it's gonna happen to me, now. I'm ready for it!
And it's great. It's a good feeling.
It's better than I've felt in a long time." --Billy Murray, "Scrooged"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: