Friday, December 30, 2011

2011: A Year In Review

It's that time again...to see what went down in 2011.  I always enjoy reading my answers from the year before.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?



I went on my very first cruise.  And it was everything that Brian and I had hoped that it would be:  the most relaxing and fun vacation that we have ever taken!  It's become an inside joke, when things get hectic one of us will sigh and say "I miss Josh."  "Josh" was the cruise director, and responsible for our fun for four days.  It was a trip without kids, and it was awesome.  Someday we'd like to do a cruise WITH the kids too, when they're a little older.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I really don't "do" New Years Resolutions.  However, in 2012 I will be starting the "Day Zero Project..."  which is like a list of things that you want to accomplish in 1,001 days.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?


Good Lord, who didn't?  It was the year of babies, with friends and family having children.  Plus, my beautiful niece Abby was born in November.  So excited for my brother and his wife, and thrilled to have a girl in the family to knit for!

4. Did anyone close to you die?  

My uncle passed away unexpectedly in May.  He was my Dad's older brother.


5. What countries/places did you visit?


Our cruise took us to Saint John New Brunswick, Canada.  I had never been there before and it was a nice little city.  I was especially happy to be there at the time that we were, there was a horrific heatwave going on at home and it was a balmy seventy-five degrees in Saint John!


6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

  Sanity! Just kidding.....  2011 was a tough year in some ways, but we are all healthy, have plenty of food and a roof over our heads.  We're both employed and have many other things that lots of people out there don't have.  So I feel blessed.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I don't remember any of the exact dates, but this year's weather has been particularly noteworthy.  First, the winter brought heavy wet snow once or twice a week.  Then in June, there was a tornado.  A pretty big tornado that devastated cities and towns to the west of us, and got into Central MA.  Then it was followed by a hurricane at the end of the summer, a HURRICANE!  We got a bit of rain damage on that one in our bathroom, rain was blowing into the house vent and it ruined our ceiling.  Again, the cities and towns to the west of us, who hadn't recovered yet from the tornado, got dumped on once again.  And just to keep things interesting, a freak snowstorm the last weekend of October!  Halloween was certainly interesting this year.  Many people were without power around us for up to a week, we hosted friends and families for food, showers, recharging devices, etc.  We were very, very lucky through all of this, never losing power more than a couple of hours.  Based on the year that  it has been weather-wise, I don't dare ask what Mother Nature has up her sleeve.  Or question her mood.  :)


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


I managed to work three jobs at once.  I worked at my current building while running applications at the new building, plus did some coverage at yet another building.  It was a ridiculously busy November and December, but when I am sitting in my new office next March, it will be all worth it.


9. What was your biggest failure?

Not taking care of myself better.  I tend to do for everyone, and forget to take care of me.  I really need to work on that.  Plus, I tend to take on too much personally and professionally, and not realize until I'm in the thick of it.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?


It's been a good year. (knocking on wood right now!) No trips to the hospital, nothing crazy to get the doctor's opinion on!  Some antibiotics in our household, but nothing serious.  We are very, very lucky!  Especially with our daredevil younger son!


11. What was the best thing you bought?

The best thing that we bought was time and memories with the boys.  We took them to a couple of children's museums, parks, and shows.  We went to PA to visit Grandmom and Grandpop.  Best money spent:  going places with the kids.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of those Secret Santas that paid off people's Walmart and Kmart layaways this year for kids' Christmases.  I loved, loved, loved those stories!


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Crazy Black Friday shoppers.  I mean really....is a video game system for your kid worth your life?? Do you really need to bring pepper spray?  This is why I stay home on Black Friday.  No deal is worth it to me to get trampled, shuffled or pushed around.


14. Where did most of your money go?


Bills, bills bills.  Same place they always go.  BUT we did pay off my husband's car and get our driveway re-done in anticipation of putting the house on the market in the next year or so.  A little bit at a time, we'll get there.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


Hmmm.  Well, not to sound repetitive, but Brian and I really got excited about a vacation without kids.  Four days of just us, enjoying the hell out of everything that a cruise has to offer.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Sadly, nothing comes to mind.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


a) happier or sadder? I've been some of both this year. Some times have been harder than others. But I've always been a "glass half-full" kind of girl and I've got lots of blessings to count.  (I liked this answer so much from last year that I decided to keep it.)


b) thinner or fatter? about the same.  but I feel really good about myself and NOT putting on more weight during some pretty stressful times.
c) richer or poorer? Richer in some ways....poorer in others. I'm rich where it matters...in love and family.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?


Living in the moment. Relishing life's simple pleasures.  Saying yes more.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Multi-tasking.  Worrying.


20. How did you spend Christmas?

With my family, having a simple dinner, eating lots of cookies and watching the kids play.


21. Did you fall in love in 2011?


I fall in love a little bit more each and every day.


22. What was your favorite TV program?


I enjoyed True Blood this past summer, and the usual primetime dramas that Brian and I watch.  And I got a bit more into the Food Network.  Brian, Will and I really enjoy "Chopped."


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?


I make it a point not to hate anyone. There's people that annoy me or I dislike, but hate's a pretty strong word. (yes it's last year's answer, but it still applies!)


24. What was the best book you read?

I didn't read nearly as much this year, and honestly, I don't know if I can pick a "favorite."


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing, really.


26. What did you want and get?
I got to start accepting applications for my new elderly apartment complex!  2012 will see me in my new office and out of family housing for good!!!


27. What did you want and not get?

More time to knit.  But there's never enough of that.  :)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Hmmmm.  I went to see Bridesmaids and Breaking Dawn in theaters this year.  And Brian and I spent my birthday playing hooky, going out to lunch by ourselves and getting a Redbox movie.  So there you have it....my favorite movie was "Friends with Benefits," for the sheer reason that we got to watch it at home, uninterrupted.  :)


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

See above for birthday plans, and add "finished Christmas shopping."  Plus, the day before, Brian cooked a Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan feast, and made chocolate cream cupcakes and my whole family came over!    I dreaded turning 35 this year.  Once it happened though, I was OK with it.  What's with the anticipation???


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not worrying so much about money or childcare.  Comes with the territory, I guess.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Thrown together and harried. My personal sense of style is a bit stunted.  I'm trying to break out of my "comfortable" colors of purple and dark pink, and trying different colors.


32. What kept you sane?

my yarn stash, and knitting my way through it.  Teaching myself new tricks involving needles and yarn.  I knit 12 MILES worth of yarn this year.  That is just crazy.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None of 'em.....so over it.


34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I don't know if I'd say I was "stirred" over them....but the ones that I will remember the most are the "Occupy" protests all over the country, and the quiet end of the war in Iraq.


35. Who did you miss?

The people I missed most are the ones far away.  My friends Jen and Heather, Jen is in Illinois and Heather is in Florida.  Heather is pregnant with her first child and I so wish I could see her.  I'm planning a solo trip to see her in early 2012 when Baby Girl is born!


36. Who was the best new person you met?

I've made some new friends in my knitting group, and gotten to know others better.



37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:


It's important to look up once in a while and assess the situation.  It's equally important to recognize when you've taken on too much, and either let go of some things or learn to delegate.  Also, take good care of yourself, you deserve it.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"You can't live your life, in the baby seat.  You've got to stand on your own, don't admit defeat."
Barenaked Ladies, "Baby Seat."

No comments: