Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Advent Calendar

Will and I were recently in a Hallmark store, purchasing the newest member of the Snowman Band.  While we were at the counter to pay, he spied a cheap Advent calendar featuring the cast of Peanuts.  Having read "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" recently he begged for the calendar, and I relented.  

This little cardboard calendar has turned into a wonderful Christmas activity.  In the mornings, he asks to open that day's flap  to see what we're going to do today.  So far, Nana has made paper snowflakes with him, he's gotten to bake cookies with Daddy, we've sung Christmas songs and learned how other countries celebrate Christmas.  But I think my favorite was when Will and I set out last weekend to pick out toys for charity.  He was especially excited to go out to Target with Mommy, and get two toys to donate to Toys for Tots.  The only activity that I put the kibbosh on was making treats to feed the birds.  Because in our backyard, it would be the squirrels and frankly those nuts have plenty.

I find myself looking forward to each morning's unveiling, too.  What will tomorrow bring?  And who knew that a little cardboard "toy" would bring so much fun to our home?

No comments: