Monday, January 4, 2010

Yarn Stashing=Danger Ahead!

I knew that I loved Ebay for a reason!

Ok...I was on Ebay today looking for something Winnie the Pooh for my nursery.  I did find what I was looking for rather quickly, and then decided to have a wee bit of fun.

I had planned on making all sorts of handmade (mostly knitted) Christmas gifts for this past Christmas, and it was a major failure.  I came close to finishing two different gifts, one of which I won't mention because I'm saving it as a first anniversary gift.  (it was supposed to be a wedding gift, then a Christmas gift, now a first anniversary gift.  Whatever!)  Anyway, I had chosen a ball of blue sparkly mohair yarn from my yarn stash on Ravelry to make my aunt a one-skein scarf as a Christmas gift.  One skein, my eye!  On Christmas Eve I sat down to finish it, because y'know, there's no time like the present to finish something like that.  And I was freaking out because I was running out of yarn.  No way was I running out on Christmas Eve to find another skein!  Not only that, I had bought this yarn a couple of years ago so there really is no chance of matching up dye lots.  So last week, I was in Michael's with the guys and went looking for this particular yarn.  No go.  So just for fun, I typed in "Lionbrand Moonlight Mohair Glacier Bay" in Ebay's search engine.  Voila!  Lots of it, and for cheaper than I had originally paid!  So now I have another skein in the mail to me, and I didn't have to venture all over God's Green Acre to find another skein!

So then I typed in "Noro Kureyon" and "Lamb's Pride" just to see what's out there.  Wow!!!  I had to physically restrain myself.  I'm a "touch it before I buy it" kind of gal when it comes to yarn, so I'd never buy a yarn on Ebay that I wasn't already familiar with.  But just knowing that there's a world of yarn on Ebay just clicks away....that's dangerous information!  :)  Luckily I can hold back.

I also got a couple of knitting books from the library the other day.  One rule I have for myself is that I must check out a knitting book from the library first to make sure I reaaalllly have to have it, unless it's a gift.  I got "Domiknitrix," "The Yarn Harlot" and "Knitgrrrl."  I flipped through "Domiknitrix" on Friday morning over coffee in a little bit of alone time and I'm glad I didn't buy it.  It did have some good tips but the patterns really aren't anything I'd ever make.  "Knitgrrrl" is written more for teenage girls, but it had some great ideas, good online links for help AND I think I might have had a breakthrough on how to do seed stitch.  I'm dying to make Stitch n Bitch's "Big Bad Baby Blanket" but every time I try to cast on and do a seed stitch all my stitches get tangled and it's a huge mess.  I'm going to play with "Knitgrrrl" at my side with some yarn to see if I've figured it out in my head.  Which brings me to the "Yarn Harlot" book.  I heart this book, and I need to add it to the list of books that I need to own!  This woman....her sense of humor alone is worth the book, especially with her comments about having a yarn stash! 

Ahhh....I love knitting.  :)

4 comments:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

The titles of the knitting books alone just make me want to learn how to knit, you know?? And I love eBay, too...a little too much! ;-)

Shelly said...

No, don't tell me that, now I am so tempted to go onto Ebay LOL.

CraftyMomof3 said...

you'll never catch up to me....mmmwahahhahhahh!!!!!! You're entering dangerous territory my friend! LOL Kidding aside I have made some great finds like that too. I still haven't had luck finding these certain beads that Michael's unceremoniously stop making on me though. I REALLY dislike when they do that. Some warning please??? I have been asked to write another piece on crafting an I think that is going to be the subject. Why hoarding is a good thing in crafts.

Alicia said...

I picked up "The Yarn Harlot" at my library a few months back. I loved the beginning of the book and was so close to buying it, but then I kept reading and I guess I have a short attention span, or the beginning was better. Probably it was my attention span...Anyhow, hope you enjoy it. The author does have a great sense of humor! I also get crochet books at my library. For me, its cheaper to go through the hassle of photocopying. However, my collection of patterns is still growing and I'm running out of room! We miss you at JJ&J. Hope you are feeling ok!