Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Matters after a Long Day

Yesterday was a truly long day at work.  Auditors, deadlines, conference calls, general doom and gloom...and then topping it off I ended up staying late to run around town to get paperwork signed in order to make the ominous deadline.  I hate scrambling around, looking for alternative child care because I can't pick up Will and cancelling appointments, etc. 

I got home at 6pm, with a black cloud over my head.  Grumbling, I opened the front door and was greeted by a crossing guard.  Crossing Guard, you say?  Will, upon hearing me come up the stairs, came flying into the living room wearing a jacket, Phillies baseball helmet and carrying a Stop/Go sign taped to a drumstick.  "STOP, MOMMY!  I am a crossing guard!"  Black cloud instantly dissipated, and I stopped in my tracks to obey the crossing guard.  When he said it was ok to go, I laughed and gave him a kiss.  How do kids know how to do that???  Apparently, when Brian picked him up tonight, he said that he wanted to be a crossing guard.  He picked out the jacket and helmet, and asked Brian to make him a stop sign "with octogons" of course!  Know what else helped?  A big pot of spaghetti boiling on the stove...since I had forgotten to eat a snack like I'm supposed to late afternoon. 

So this is the way that  I am going to ease into a Thanksgiving post.  No matter what happens during the day,  I come home to the best husband and son a girl could ask for.   (And the dog is pretty fabulous too)  I'm thankful for a kid who dresses like a crossing guard, loses his Brown Doggie on a nightly basis and makes us scourage for him, and tells me that he wants turkey for dessert.    I'm thankful for my husband, who puts up with preggo hormones and has dinner waiting at the end of a long day.   He is truly my rock, my light at the end of the tunnel. 

Here are some other things that I'm thankful for:
-My family:  parents, brother and sister-in-law
-Employment.  It drives me crazy some days but I still love my job and there are still lots of people out there that aren't working. 
-Baby shimmies and kicks.  This little one in my tummy is really active! 
-A yarn stash and plenty of needles.  I'm glad that I found a hobby that keeps my mind and hands busy.
-The Public Library.  In the last year, many libraries in MA have slashed their hours due to budgeting, or closed altogether.  I'm thankful that I can get my fill of books for free still. 
-Blogging!  Sometimes I'm surprised at how happy I am to do that.

What are you thankful for?  What matters most to you at the end of the long day?

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

No comments: