Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Poor Puppy



 See that sweet face?  That's our dog Joey.  He's such a love.  And a ham.  And a pain sometimes, and we love him dearly!  Such a good disposition, so patient when Will wants to "chase and scare" him.  Lots of energy, this pup can jump our picket fence in the backyard with those springy legs and can run like nobody's business.

We switched vets this year, and the new vet recommended having Joey be put under anesthesia to have his teeth cleaned.  The quote that they gave us included two extractions if necessary.  We decided to hold off, because it was pretty costly.  Then Joey, who's always had yucky breath, developed halitosis so bad that I nicknamed it "Death Breath."  I figured he had some decay, so we opted to have the surgery. 

We dropped him off yesterday morning, and they promised to call my cellphone when they were done.  They called after lunch, and I almost fell out of my desk chair when they told me that it was worse than they thought, that poor Joe-Joe had to have EIGHT teeth removed!!  My poor, sweet Sato baby!  I feel so guilty.  I asked what could've caused this, and the doctor said that some dogs get more tartar than others, and that it would've helped a lot if we had brushed his teeth daily.  (Bad mom, bad mom, is what I heard in my guilt-ridden little head).)  She said that he would be feeling a lot better very soon.  I had no idea he was feeling poorly!  He didn't act like a dog that didn't feel well. 


So, antibiotics, soft food and painkillers for the next 7-10 days.  And lots of petting and spoiling from his Mom and Dad.  He'll be back to himself in a short period of time.  And when he is, I have a brand new doggie toothbrush and toothpaste set ready. 

1 comment:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Poor Joey! Poor Ginny!