Thursday, August 6, 2009

Court is in Session!

I had to go to court today for my job. I've only ever had to go maybe a handful of times, but I hate going. It just makes me so nervous!! First I stressed about the dress code for court, I wasn't sure I had anything nice enough in my repertoire of maternity clothes to fit the bill. I tried on two dresses last night and finally settled on a skirt set. It turns out I shouldn't have worried, because apparently anything goes in court! People wear some of their cruddiest clothes to appear before the magistrate or judge. I even saw a lawyer in a beautiful, expensive green skirt suit, that she chose to accent with beat-up rubber flip-flops. Flip-flops! The whole scene looked like a casting call for "What Not to Wear!"

In the two years since I transferred positions, I have not had to go to court in the city that I work in. So when the lawyer asked me last week if I knew where the courthouse was, I was sure that I did!! I had been to the court in town several years ago when we first bought our house. Well, there's a price for being smug and not asking just in case. I drove to the courthouse and marveled at the free parking, for I was sure I'd be taken for at least ten bucks to park anywhere in the vicinity of the courthouse. I took a walk around the building, looking for the entrance. What the hell?? All the doors don't seem to open. One entrance has a sign that that entrance is closed. And why aren't there any people milling around?? I finally spot someone and ask where the entrance is. He gives me a strange look and informs me that no business takes place there, that there's a new courthouse down the street. D'oh! He was a kind lawyer-type that offered to let me walk with him, and I was grateful for his assistance!

So folks, today's lessons: Don't be a know-it-all, and it's ok to wear flip-flops and grungy street clothes anywhere!!

1 comment:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

Hey, thanks for following my blog--I like yours too! And hey, as long as you FOUND the courthouse eventually, that's all that matters, right?? Added bonus, if you're a pregnant woman who can pull off dressing yourself in something other than flip-flops (??), that earns you major points. At least Stacy and Clinton won't ambush you.