Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Love Letters

Now that I am feeling more like myself and have some energy, I finally sat down to make that horrific to-do list that I've been putting off. One of those things is to clean the basement, so we can clean out the spare bedroom for Will. (It's so cram-jammed with crap, Will calls it "the closet!") It's a HUGE job, so instead of trying to find a day to tackle it, I'm trying to do it in small increments. I spent a few minutes grabbing stuff off of a table downstairs and going through it while I was between loads of laundry. That's when I spied it....

A stationery box covered in a faded sunflower print. I knew what it was even before I touched it. Brian's letters to me when we were dating and then engaged!! The night was shot, people. Instead I had something much more interesting to do.

I sat at the dining room table and pored over the box's contents. It was stuffed with letters and silly trinkets. Letters from his naval deployment my senior year of college, when we were apart for 3 1/2 months. Silly, quick letters while he was on the submarine. Deep, thoughtful letters. And lovey, mushy ones too. Not only did they make me smile, they let me re-live our first two years together. Things were so different back then, but it was fantastic to visit for a little while.

After I was finished reading, I stacked them all neatly back into the box and am looking for a safe place upstairs for them. Someday our kids might like to read them, though not ALL of them! :)

2 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

Why clean and organize when you can find stuff like that?

CraftyMomof3 said...

always neat. when your kids are older and you find their little baby stuff you will have similar days then too.