Thursday, May 17, 2012

No Time!!

I got an email at work last week about an upcoming Manager's meeting.  My job has these from time to time, all-day trainings for their manager's on a variety of topics.  Me?  I'm ridiculously busy, and was going to try to opt out, especially since the main focus was a Time Management Seminar.  Plus, even though it was a half-day meeting instead of the full-day, it's always a full-day for me between the distance to drive and the mind-rotting traffic from anywhere in Central MA to anywhere in eastern MA. BUT there was something else important to be covered too so I sighed and put it on my calendar.

Was I glad that I did.....it ended up being a pretty good training.  For one thing, I can certainly get comfy with a trainer that calls his program:  "Time Management:  The Seminar I don't have Time For."  Yes, that's about right.  Throughout the training I was in awe over how many things related to my everyday life.  It turns out, my "time management" is an absolute train wreck.  Distractions?  Yes.  Time suckage?  Yep, Yep.  Overwhelming burnout as to what to start first?  Oh my, yes.  Disorganization killing your productivity?  Cripes, did this guy follow me around for a day or two??  Tips were offered to battle all of these things.  I only hope that I can implement some of them.

One thing that we touched upon was the statement that he made that we are all slaves to email.  That little "DING! you've got new email" sends a lot of people running to see what's come up.  it's a distraction for sure.  And the amount of email.....ugh.  My work account alone has over 200 messages sitting in the inbox right now. And that's down from the 500 that I had pared it down from recently.  All of them are open, and just sitting there.  And I can't seem to find the time to go through and save or delete!  My "file pile" at work.....it should be more aptly named "mess pile."  I leave my desk in shambles every night as I walk out the door, usually running behind in picking up one of the kids.  I have no preparation for the next day, personally or professionally.  No wonder I'm flopping like a fish out of water.

This was a big eye opener.  Today, when I get to work after housing court, I'm going to sit down and start implementing some changes.  It's high time to determine what's important and needs to be done and what just isn't worth worrying about.  It's time to slowly get organized and be ruthless with piles at the office and clutter at home.  Free myself of the clutter both physically and mentally, so I can focus on the things that need to get done and spending more quality time with family and friends.  It's going to be a long road, but I feel prepared for the journey.

No comments: