Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sock-In-Progress



Wellll......it's starting to look like a sock!

I cast this sock on and frogged it  (i.e. ripping it out and starting over) no less than three times.  There was lots of cursing involved.  I also went to the doctor for a sinus infection the other day, so I haven't been feeling well.  I may (or may not) have at one point chucked the yarn and needles into a bag and thrown a hissy fit.  But I'm not admitting to anything.

Finally, I got the round going.  After two inches of ribbing, it was time to make a heel flap.  Easy as pie.  Next came turning the heel.  It wasn't the easiest thing, but I did it!  There is a nice round heel on this sock.  Next is the gusset, and well....that looks like the hardest part.  And the thing about socks?  There's two of them.  So if the first one kicks your ass, well, the second one might, too.

I posted on Facebook that I was knitting my first sock and having some difficulty.  I got some interesting responses.  One knitty friend in California said that knitting with dpn's  (double pointed needles) is not unlike wrestling a porcupine.  You know, I can agree with that.  Other friends offered pointers and in-person help.  One friend in PA (a friend of my husband's from HS days) said "The only part I understood in your post is the cursing.  The rest of it...well, knitting is just plain weird!  Why yes, yes it is weird.  And I love it.  :)

2 comments:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

ha ha!! love the part about only understanding the cursing...i admit, i don't understand knitting-speak, or sewing-speak for that matter, either. but your socks ARE starting to look like socks, and i'm impressed!

Alicia said...

I got lost on how to make the gusset too. I found this website with video tutorials that might help.

http://verypink.com/2011/01/13/video-lesson-learn-to-knit-socks/

She had another section on her site about knitting socks on a circular and that helped me. Best of luck!