Friday, March 11, 2011

The Jewel-Box

I was searching for a pair of earrings this morning.  I'm not very organized when it comes to jewelry, as I change earrings/rings/necklaces, they usually end up on a little plate on top of my jewelry box.  Yeah...I have a jewelry box, a lovely Christmas present from my husband for one of the first Christmases of our marriage.  But most of what I wear most days is ON TOP of it instead of INSIDE OF IT. :)

I didn't find the earrings that I was looking for on top, so I opened it up.  As I rifled through, I came across some things that made me think of my jewelry as a timeline of Crafty Mama.  Join me, won't you??


Silver Unicorn Pendant





This is the first piece of jewelry that I remember getting as a gift.  My dad gave it to me when I was four or five  years old, it came with a chain but the chain is long-gone.  I loved wearing this!  I thought I was pretty special with my unicorn necklace. 




Teal and Rhinestone Drop Earrings.





 I wore these to the prom.  I can't believe I still have these!  I had a teal off-the-shoulder dress and my hair up in a twist and shoes dyed to match.  Very 1994.  I still fondly remember perusing Claire's for the "perfect" accessories and hoping nobody in my class had the same dress 'cause dude, that would be embarrassing! 






The most random thing in there?  Joey's first collar when we brought him home from the shelter.  It's funny, sometimes I show it to him he gets all excited and starts sniffing it.  I know it seems like a silly thing, but it's dear to me.



Wedding Tiara





Yes, it's busted and I'll likely never wear it again.  But I'll never get rid of it, either.  Flowered rhinestones, silver-colored metal.  I really, really wanted a tiara instead of a full veil.  After seeing the prices at bridal shops, I got this is a crafts store in Somersworth, NH.  I went for my hair trial for the wedding and can remember feeling very regal as the hairdresser put my hair in soft curls, pulled half of my hair up and topped it with this tiara.  Afterwards, this Regal Diva (ha ha ha!  I can't even say that with a straight face) had errands to run.  What kind, mind you?  Well, I had to shop for a toilet plunger for the house.  Imagine the stares that you get in a tiara, carrying a toilet plunger.  The ultimate oxymoron.  But hey, every Queen needs a sceptor.  :)

No comments: