I've done it! I finally finished this blanket for my friend Lexi, who's due to have her second baby, a boy, at the end of July.
As soon as I saw the pattern for the Big Bad Baby Blanket in Stitch n Bitch, I knew that I was destined to knit it for her. I started back in April, and the pattern kicked my ass more than once. It originally started out in pistachio and white Babysoft yarn, held together to make an interesting marble-y pattern. I cursed and frogged so many times, and eventually threw it down. (And may have even dramatically stomped a little on it, but I won't admit to it.) Later on, I chose this mossy green yarn, and instead of holding together two baby-weight yarns, I settled on worsted weight. And it came together, slowly. After a while, the pattern actually got repetitive and boring, but I forged ahead. There's plenty of mistakes, but I am very proud of this blanket. It shows stick-to-it-ivness, and I rose above!
Now for some INSANE math....there are 126 individual stitches in a row. And there are 208 rows in the pattern. 126x208=26,208 individual stitches! I don't think I've ever had that many of ANYTHING! Also, note to self: Do NOT run those kinds of numbers mid-project!
Baby Hatchling II will be a summer baby, and will of course not have use for a Big Bad Baby Blanket right away. But this will be perfect for those chilly autumn Maine nights!