Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting Physical

At my last doctor appointment, I was telling the obstetrician about this strange pain that starts in my lower back, shoots down over my butt, down my right leg and into the foot. It's like a hot, sharp knife some nights and can bring me to tears instantly. Some days I just have it in the very small of my back, but every day it is there: at least a dull ache. She said that it was pregnancy-induced sciatica, and strongly suggested physical therapy.

I've never had physical therapy in my life. I've been VERY fortunate to never be injured to the point of needing rehabilitation or PT. But the teary nights after being on my feet and mobile all day between work and being a mom/wife were enough for me to say "I'll try anything!!"

My first appointment was today. The therapist gave me a thorough exam, making me stretch and bend and walk across the room while he observed. Then he showed me some exercises that he said that would help. I felt kind of silly doing some of them, getting on all fours and kicking my legs. But I've got to say, on the drive back to work I marveled at how much better I felt! So I'm signed up for PT twice a week for the month of September.

Yeah, the sciatica's a pain. (ha ha ha, I kill me!!) But I'll take this complication over the gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia from my first pregnancy any day!

1 comment:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Glad you feel better! Wish I would've know bout that I just suffered through it.