Sunday, December 30, 2012

My First Socks


53.  Successfully knit a pair of socks.(12/29/12)

When I was a brand-new knitter back in 2008, socks were my Everest.  I would watch people work on them on Wednesday nights at the coffee shop and say "Self, you are never going to be able to do that.  It's just too hard.  Stick to these garter-stitch scarves honey, they're more your speed."  Honestly, I wasn't sure if this Day Zero List item would ever get done!  I had already tried making socks at least twice, and giving up when the going got tough.  But I did it! 

The first thing I decided that I was doing wrong was starting an adult pair.  By making them for the smallest member of the family (Sean) they came together quicker, making me feel like I was accomplishing something FAST. They are rife with mistakes, especially the first sock.  The grafting is a bit wonky, and I love them anyway.  These things will get better with time and practice.  

As for practice, I already made a swatch last night to make a pair for myself.  (We knitters are always looking ahead)  This sock knitting thing may indeed become addictive!

No comments: