Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: A Year in Review

It's that time again... to usher 2012 out the door in anticipation of 2013's arrival.  But first, what was 20012 like?  .

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?

Honestly?  I'm sure that there is something but I can't think of it.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I really don't "do" New Years Resolutions.  However, I started the "Day Zero" project last January 1 and I've crossed several things off my list and am working on more.  I'm having a lot of fun with it, too.  Can't exactly say that about New Year's resolutions, now can you!


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My friend Alana had her first baby just a few weeks ago.  He's so adorable.  And my friend Jenny had her third baby boy in August.  I enjoyed cuddles from both recently and of course knit for both of them as well.  


4. Did anyone close to you die?  

No....I can't think of any this year.  



5. What countries/places did you visit?

We took a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia this past summer.  Had a great time, too!  Definitely somewhere we would visit again.  I also went to Florida (all by myself!) to surprise my oldest friend for her baby shower.  That trip was so good, I'm going to do it again in 2013.  (Minus the surprise.)



6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

Organization.  Haha, like that's ever going to happen!

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 

December 14, 2012, the day of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.  :(


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Patience paying off....opening a new housing complex in August.  Finally, after all the waiting!  :)


9. What was your biggest failure?

Knowing when to ask for help.  Learning to delegate instead of trying to take everything on myself.  And lastly, being a procrastinator..



10. Did you suffer illness or injury?


I had a wild streak of sciatica that started right before our vacation in July, that I stubbornly didn't seek professional help for til mid-August.  It lasted til October and was a miserable experience that I wish on no one.  But even that is not that serious...I'm still calling this year a big WIN in the health dept!



11. What was the best thing you bought?

The best thing that we bought was time and memories with the boys.  We took them to a couple of children's museums, parks, and shows.  We went to PA to visit Grandmom and Grandpop.  Best money spent:  going places with the kids.  (this answer is just too good to come up with another one.)


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of those people who during Hurricane Sandy that reached out to their neighbors.  People who had power allowing others to charge their phones, one guy turning his front lawn into a "drive-in movie", etc etc.  I love seeing people come together like that.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The single saddest, most appalling thing this year was the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.  I can barely even think about it, my heart just breaks for all of those families.  





14. Where did most of your money go?

A mortgage, and child care.  Child care is almost a second mortgage.  But it will get a little less expensive in 2013...very much looking forward to that!


15.  What did you really get excited about?

Same thing I get really excited about every year....the Tent Sale at Webs every May.  ;)

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Another hockey lockout.  Dammit.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Pretty happy for the most part.  There's been sad parts, but I've really tried to focus on the happy.

b) thinner or fatter? about the same.  but I feel really good about myself and NOT putting on more weight during some pretty stressful times.

c) richer or poorer? Honestly, poorer.  Nothing major, life's just been more abut the NEEDS than the WANTS.   But  I consider us rich for having food in our bellies and a roof over our heads.  Not everyone can say that.  

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?


Deep breathing and not sweating the small stuff..



19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying about things that one cannot control.  I saw a great saying recently, "Let's not try to figure out everything at once."  That is very much me in a nutshell.  



20. How did you spend Christmas?

This was the first year in many that we didn't host Christmas.  The whole family got together and had dinner and gifts at my brother's house, and it was lovely.  I absolutely love being able to watch my boys experience Christmas!



21. Did you fall in love in 2012?

Not with anyone or anything new...but more in love with my family every blessed day.



22. What was your favorite TV program?My favorite "new shows" were Chicago Fire and Smash.  


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?


I make it a point not to hate anyone. There's people that annoy me or I dislike, but hate's a pretty strong word. (yes it's last year's answer, but it still applies!)



24. What was the best book you read?

As part of my "Day Zero" list, I read the Harry Potter books.  I have snubbed them in the past, thinking they were just a bunch of hype.  I happily eat those words...I was hooked on the first chapter!  I bawled my eyes out for a good chunk of the last book.  I loved these books so very much. 



25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Psy's "Gangnam Style."  Not because it was a big musical discovery, but for how long I could entertain the kids with all the parodies.  Will's favorite Gangnam Style parody is Super Mario Brothers, Sean's is Transformers.  



26. What did you want and get?
On August 1st, I left family housing behind and officially opened my office in elderly housing.  It was a long ride...and totally worth it.



27. What did you want and not get?

More time to knit.  But there's never enough of that.  :)


28. What was your favorite film of this year?

We don't watch too many movies....though I did watch all of the Harry Potter movies this year, minus the last one!  Can't wait to see it, either.  We've seen a couple of movies in recent weeks:  The Five Year Engagement, American Reunion.  Both got laughs.  I started watching some classic movies as part of my Day Zero List and loved "The Graduate."  And both Brian and I are very much looking forward to seeing Les Miserables in the coming weeks.



29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned the big 3-6 this year.  Man, am I getting old!  Quiet birthday, home with Brian, watching movies and going out to lunch.  Simple things make me happy.  



30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not worrying so much about money or childcare.  Comes with the territory, I guess.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Boring.  I've been in the same rut for over ten years.  


32. What kept you sane?

my yarn stash, and knitting my way through it.  Teaching myself new tricks involving needles and yarn.  I knit 12 MILES worth of yarn this year.  That is just crazy.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eh.....don't care..


34. What political issue stirred you the most?

The election.  Not who to vote for, but the ridiculousness of the debates that looked more like boxing matches.  And I was very excited/satisfied that any politician that was pushing laws regarding women's reproductive rights was defeated in the election!



35. Who did you miss?

My far away friends and family.


36. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmmmm....have I met anyone new this year?  :)  



37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:

You only live once.  Make it count.  


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Yeah....I've got nothin'.  :)

No comments: