Friday, February 4, 2011

It's the Silly Things

Driving home from work last night.  In a terribly foul mood, mostly because of the gargantuan snowpiles around me in the city....this City has such narrow roads to start with, plus with people parking all over a lot of roads have turned into one-ways.  Not to mention the $#*hats that snowblow their driveways into the street.  (But that's a whole 'nother post!)  The snow is so high in some places it is literally impossible to see if anything's coming as you pull out of your driveway.  And, just to make things more interesting, we have some more headed tomorrow, and another possible storm midweek.  I think Wednesday knitting, and Wednesdays in general have been cancelled for the duration of this rotten winter. 

I've never been down about the weather like this before.  I know that they've been bad before but this just seems like the pits.  So, I was driving last night in the traffic that has accumulated because of the snow piles, and I was thinking that I had all the reasons in the world to be pissed off.  And I know I'm not the only one out there, I've heard the beeping horns and  seen the not-so-subtle hand gestures.   I was trying to make a phone call.  I have an in-dash bluetooth, so PRESTO! with the push of a button I can make and receive calls hands-free.  (after the original button pushing, of course.)  You're supposed to say "Call" and then the voice asks you the name or number.  (I have yet to name the voice....I should!)    Instead of saying "Call" I said "Last Call," thinking that it would automatically dial the last call that had come in.  Well, no.  Instead, Female Voice thought I had said "Espanol" and then proceeded to tell me in Spanish that I had selected to change the language and did I want to do that?  Aw heck, why not?? 

I then proceeded to call my friend Tracy by slowly reciting her telephone number in Spanish.  And it worked!  It also told me that the battery was low on my phone.  How helpful!  This little exchange with Female Voice was so entertaining.  Despite the weather I had a chuckle and was in a fabulous mood by the time I hit the driveway.  And then I had a great pancake and maple sausage dinner with my guys, and a great evening overall.

So see?  Sometimes it's the littlest, silly thing that can turn that frown upside-down and salvage your night.  As for "Llamada Conectada?"  I decided to keep it in Spanish in my car.  After all, I stink at numbers in Spanish and maybe it'll help!  :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

lol too funny with the bluetooth story. Kevin & I goofed and apparently selected spanish for the Spaceship Earth ride in Epcot last year. That was entertaining! Anywho, I truly hope the snow lets up soon. Miss you and the knitting group!