Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Knitting

OK!  Now that Christmas Day has come and gone, I can talk about the fabulous knitting I did for my family this year!  I no longer have to stuff it in a bag when someone comes around the corner, or slip up and say the word "shawl" in mixed company.  Some secrets have been tough to keep in the past few months.

First, how about the hats for my Dad and my brother!



I bought this orange Berroco Alpaca back in February.  February, people!  I had a false start on a ribbed watch hat, circa 1945.  I discovered that I didn't like ribbing a whole hat, it's quite tedious.  The gray stripes were a mid-thought. 




Ahhhh....Dad's hat.  I knitted this twice.  The first time, I mis-read the sizing and when it was done, it fit Will.  Instead of my Dad.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!   This is from Lion Brand Wool-Ease in a colorway called Wheat.  Also bought in February.  (Procrastination, Huzzah!)



Will asked for some mittens and a hat, and he picked this yarn out himself when we were Christmas shopping together last month.  It's Paton's Classic Wool in a colorway called Palais.  I like it because he has two winter jackets, one is blue and gray and the other is red and black.  The yarn coordinates with both.  I do intend on making some i-cord so he can run the mittens down his jacket sleeves and they won't get lost.  The mitten pattern was pretty easy.  Though I do have big plans to finally learn how to knit in the round in 2011.  No more seaming!  (I hope, I hope)




I also knitted Sean a hat from some yarn I bought at Web's at the end of November.  However, I put it on his wee head right away because baby, it was cold outside!  It's really cute, made with Berkshire Bulky in "burgundy" with a stripe in "oatmeal."    I do wish I had made one with a chin strap, because he loves to take it off and throw it in the car.  I suppose it's not too late to pick up some stitches on either side and put one, though!



I made this scarf for my Mom back while I was on maternity leave.  (Turns out you *can* knit on very little sleep, as long as it's not too difficult of a pattern)  It's called a sampler scarf because it's broken up into different blocks and different stitch patterns.  I really enjoyed making it.  (the yarn is Lion Brand as well, in Jiffy.  Colorway:  fisherman)




And the piece de resistance??  A shawl for Kim, my sister-in-law.  It's called a Point-Edge Wrap, and the yarn that the pattern suggested, although very nice, was discontinued.  How dare they!   So I substituted Lion Brand Baby Alpaca.  It's from their swanky collection that's not available in stores, only online or at their flagship store in New York City.  (Which I went to in October!  It was quite a treat.)  I started this thing mid-September and I was fretfully weaving in the ends and glancing at the clock, wondering if it was going to make it under the tree!!  The pattern wasn't difficult, just tedious.  The end result was totally worth it, though.




The only gift that didn't make it for Christmas was a hat for my dear Hubby.  However, as soon as I finish my baby hats for Sean's Birthday, I will make him one.  No way is his head going to go hatless.  I don't care if "the cobbler's kids go without shoes," this knitter's family will be well-covered!

Happy Christmas, and Happy Knitting!  I've already got ideas floating around my head for next year...

1 comment:

adventures in rhode island said...

color me impressed, you knitted your heart out this year! i'm sure everyone was thrilled with the handmade gifts, they came out wonderful! :)