Monday, October 13, 2008

I, Knitwit?



I attempted to learn to knit a couple of years ago. A friend and I signed up for a class at the local Michael's, and I was most definitely the worst knitter there. That didn't stop me from buying a bunch of yarn and continuing to plug along. As with anything new that one tries, I got discouraged that I wasn't picking it up as quickly as I've picked up other crafts. So I made one awkward-looking turquoise scarf and put away my needles.

Fast-forward to Present Time. After reading "The Friday Night Knitting Club" and seeing a fellow blogger's cool drink cozies, I decided that I hadn't given it a fair try. This time, I grabbed my copy of "Knitting for Dummies" (no, seriously) and attempted to re-learn the basic stitch I had done two years previously. Within a half hour or so, I had the stitch down pat and was playing with some variegated yarn. Then I remembered these cool "Fun Fur" scarves that were ultra-popular a few years ago and decided to try that. (I'm never a trendsetter, really, and I always "discover" things when they're no longer the newest on the scene. Like iTunes. Or "That Seventies Show.") So, here is a photo of my creation, a pink Fun Fur scarf. Not sure if it'll turn into something wearable, but I'm enjoying myself and I guess that's what matters.

I've also joined a Needlecraft group on Meetup called "Hooks and Needlers." (again, as suggested by a fellow blogger.) It sounds like it's mostly a group for knitting and crocheting, but the description said that all needle art is welcome. If anything, it's a chance once a month for me to hang out with some fellow crafties and work on the two cross-stitch projects that have been works-in-progress since the spring. Yes---I'm taking the cross-stitch with me. As a new Knitter, I don't want to embarrass myself with the experienced folks!

4 comments:

Alana said...

Knitting is a great (and handy) skill ti have! I wish I could knit. I don't think I'd have the patience. If you become really proficient at it, you should sell some of your creations and make some extra dough. Hell, I'd buy a great scarf or something for the winter!

Jane said...

I have only been to one knitting group and they were more than happy to teach beginners how to knit. Hope you have a great time

CraftyMomof3 said...

Too bad I wasn't there....I'd be there with my crochet needle in hand! :)

Trish said...

Welcome to the other side :) I've found all knit/crochet/needlecraft groups VERY open to others! Congrats on the start of your scarf. I too started with a fun fur scarf in pink!!! I have also found the "dummies" books to be more than helpful!!!

Anyways, Congratulations! Before long, you'll be a multi-crafter and not have enough time in the day to get done all you want to do!!!!!!

Join Ravelry www.ravelry.com It's a great online fiber artist community :)