Friday, April 24, 2009

"The Wednesday Letters" and Deja Vu

I brought home a nice little bag of books from the library the other day, among them is a book called "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason F. Wright. I'm almost finished with it, and it's a really capturing story. Jack and Laurel have been married for many years and own a bed-and-breakfast., Jack is dying of brain cancer, but it is Laurel who surprisingly dies first. Jack succumbs to his cancer the same night, and the two are found the next day, in each other's arms. As their children are planning the funeral arrangements, they discover that their father, for the past fifty-plus years, has written their mother a letter every Wednesday. Upon poring over the letters, some surprises spring up and nothing is as it seems. I hope to finish this tonight, it's really, really good!

Here's the deja vu part: I was perusing the local paper this morning. I've started reading the paper because I like to know what's going on in the City, especially in the neighborhood where I work. And, since I am my mother's daughter, I read the obituaries. (Mom taught me the importance of this!) This morning's were particularly sad, as there was a husband and wife listed with the same funeral information. I did a double-take at first, but after carefully reading them it is definitely husband and wife. I couldn't help but think that Worcester County may have their own Jack and Laurel story, and feel bad for their children, who are mourning both their parents at the same time. My heart goes out to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I voted for "Wednesday Letters" for my book club but they chose something else. I will read it on my own.
:)