Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Save The Libraries!

There are some things that you think will always be there.....and you take them for granted. That is, until they're threatened to no longer exist....

I found out recently that due to the economy and current budget plan for Fiscal Year 2010, my town's public library is going to cut it's services drastically. The library will only be open 30 hours per week, pare down on staffing, and eliminate computer programs, summer reading groups, story hours and activities. Also, due to the budget cuts, the library will lose it's state and national accreditations, and residents of our town will no longer be able to participate in the inter-libary loan program. The literature on the library's website said that "these changes will set the library back decades. It will become the library of the 1900's." And it's not just our town's library....other surrounding towns are severely cutting back their services and hours, merging with other towns or simply closing its doors.

I am so saddened by this news! I have always loved going to the library, ever since I got my first library card at six years old. I love books and the library allows me to read many more than I could possibly afford every year. The library has been a big part ofmy life, and I've worked to make both reading and the library a big part of my family's life as well. If I didn't work full-time, I would take Will to more activities at the local libraries in the area. They are a great place for free information, instruction, and of course, books! And not just books.....these days libraries carry movies, CD's, artwork.....my library even has Wii games. It's a shame to see this resource dwindling.

After reading all about the proposed budget cuts, I did the only thing I could think of that I could possibly help out: I wrote a check to the library. Just a little something to help this wonderful place keep going. I just can't believe that it's come to this. I hope that I could make a little bit of a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A bunch of the town libraries are in the same situation. Worcester cut back hours, and W. Boylston is facing the same as Shrewsbury. I'm surprised about Shrewsbury, though; I thought they would have been better off.
Boylston shut down for a week between Christmas and New Years' to save on energy costs. We're always in fear of losing our accreditation. :(