Saturday, May 9, 2009

Using What You Have

I admit it. I'm one of those people who stockpile. My linen closet has enough shampoo and body wash to ring in the next decade! I have a fully stocked freezer and half the time I don't even know what's in there. If coffee is on sale, I'll buy several and then someday, months down the road, be shocked when I run out. And don't get me started on rice, soup and cake mixes.

So today, I've set a goal: to start using what we already have. Brian wrote out our weekly menu this week, and he went through the freezer first. And I vow to use all of the shampoo in the house before I buy another bottle. I also signed up for a local version of "The Great American Bake Sale" with proceeds going towards ending childhood hunger. That'll take care of the five cake mixes that I have in the house. After all, I love to bake but it's no good for the waistline. This satisfies both the baking bug and doing a little community service!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we got into a money crunch I started using up stuff. Yes, my freezer was a scary place!
My mother is a BJ's Warehouse junkie. (I always feel the urge to put Warehouse after it...I don't want any rumors being spread about my mom!) Enough peanut butter to last a lifetime!
And my uncle has about 25 boxes of jello, from when my grandparents were alive. His basement has enough food to feed a small country.