Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Own Personal Everest

Every year at Christmas, we wrap a swatch of red and gold fabric underneath the Christmas tree, and Brian always asks, "When are you going to make that tree skirt?"

I've had this Snow Village Christmas Tree Skirt in the back of my craft closet for years. Now that I think about it, my friend Maureen and I bought cross-stitch tree skirts back in 2003. So, five years. Hers was animals, and I fell in love with the snowman village. Hers is finished, but she had someone do it for her. Mine has hung out and watched while I've made baby items, wedding records and other projects. I came across it while I was looking to make some ornaments and I just felt, Gee! It would be great to do that.

So, I pulled it out and blew the dust off. (after five years, there was a bit of dust!) It's not that the pattern is daunting or that it is a difficult fabric. It's just so dang big!!! This is not the kind of thing that I am going to finish in a month. At the rate that it takes me to finish small things, this is going to take at least a year. And I know that I don't have the attention span to just work on "this one thing." But who says it needs to be done for this Christmas, or next? And I'll never finish it if I don't start it.

So, today is the day. Wish me luck!




The finished product....with matching snow village stocking

Look at all of that floss to sort and keep neat!


The chart.....almost four pages!



No comments: