Thursday, October 3, 2013

Photographic Evidence

I have this purple sweater in the back of my closet.  It's a cardigan-and-shell set, with tiny purple sequins and a satin tie at the waist.

I saw it in a store and thought it was perfect for a holiday party.  It's not really for everyday wear.  I don't care what other people wear or what fashion dictates, I don't need to sparkle at work.  No glimmering necessary when I'm kickin' it on weekends with my family.  I keep it in the back of the closet for when an occasion arises.

I didn't realize how long I had this sweater set.  Until I was looking thru photos, searching for a photo of me for Sean to take to preschool so he would "have me with him all day" and play with his friends instead of waiting all day at the door for Mommy to come and get him.  (it's getting better, he doesn't throw a tantrum every day anymore.  It's more of a tears and "I'm gonna MISS YOU!" kind of thing now, and though its sad it's also rather adorable.)  I found pictures of me wearing this sweater...in one season I wore it to work's holiday party, a high school reunion and a birthday party.  The year inscribed in the photo album?

2005. As in, eight years ago.  I had no idea it had been that long!  The last time that I remember wearing the sweater, I was at a baby shower in Rhode Island.  That "baby" just turned five in April.

I have a hard time getting rid of things.  Especially if these things are nice.  I hold onto it because I "might wear it someday."  But clearly, I've worn it plenty and gotten my money's worth.

I hereby give myself permission to donate it to Savers and get something new and swanky.  Time to move on out of this rut!

No comments: