Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Yarny Day.

Every six months has a trip of yarny goodness.  I woke up this morning and BOOM!  It was here...the New England Fiber Festival!  A day of walking around with my friends and my mom, petting alpacas, perusing patterns and touching all that yarn.  I came home with some lovely lavender-sage soap in a felted yarn bag, a skein or two of pretty, variegated yarns and some goodies for my birthday swap partner.  Oh, and the people-watching.  There's never a shortage of that at the NE Fiber Festival.

First, you observe everyone's handmade wearables.  I saw some gorgeous shawls today, and more than one baby sweater that I almost died from the cuteness.  BUT.  There's the other side, the "how did you think that looked GOOD?" side.  To each their own, though.  Knitting is all about the creativity.  And as the Yarn Harlot points out, "There are no knitting police."  The other thing that always blows me away is how people can knit or crochet, walk and carry on a conversation at these things.  I will never get there.  I saw a woman knitting lace, and I even saw another woman SPINNING with a drop spindle as she walked along.  She actually whacked my foot with the spindle...that's how I noticed.

I came home earlier than usual, with a small bag and tired feet from the walking.  Mom and I spent some time knitting and hanging out while Hubby cooked dinner, her on a sweater and me on a sock.  Yes, I am giving socks another try.  This is my third try, and I'm trying to be smarter and starting a pair for the smallest member of my immediate family!  Here's hoping that the third time's a charm!

All in all, a great day.  And the NE Fiber Festival means something else....six months til the Tent Sale at Webs!  :)

No comments: