Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Playing on the Lake

This past Labor Day weekend allowed me to cross one thing off the Day Zero List:

30.  go kayaking(8/31/13)

I honestly don't know why I haven't really tried this before!  My parents have a small cottage in Connecticut on a lake.  They love kayaking and have I believe four of them.  We went down to visit this weekend and I took out the smallest one.  At first it seemed hard but once my Dad adjusted the leg rails for my height, it was easier.  I went out at least three times, enjoying the movement on the lake, seeing turtles sunning themselves on top of the mud piles in the water.  As soon as the kayak would go by they'd all dive, then poke their heads up to see if I was gone.  

The boys love the water as well.  Brian took Will with him in a kayak, and I took Sean.  Sean smiled the whole time, and put his head on my chest and said "I love this.  And I love you, Mommy."  

Plus, Brian got to realize one of his goals this weekend, he rented a stand-up paddleboard.  It's kind of like kayaking but you stand up on a big surfboard-like contraption.  He did really well, only falling in the lake once.  Everyone else in the family except for me and Dad gave it a try as well.  I don't have very good balance on dry land, let alone a paddleboard.  My brother was like a natural, and my mother got the hang of it as well.  

It was a great weekend for water play, despite the drizzly rain and sometimes fog.  I can't wait to do it again!


No comments: