Friday, January 8, 2010

On Behalf of Preemies Everywhere....

In my Christmas stocking this year there was a Target giftcard, that my husband had gotten because of some rebate or something.  It's been sitting on my desk at home since Christmas, and I've hemmed and hawed about what to do with it.  Like most people, I love Target, and would probably have no problem selecting a dozen things to spend my giftcard on.  Then, when checking out some of the blogs that I keep up with this morning, I knew exactly what to do with it.

I've been following a blog for probably a year and a half now called Confessions of a CF Husband. and I know a few of my blog-friends do as well.  The blog focuses on the life of a family where the Mom has Cystic Fibrosis and their daughter, Gwyneth, was born prematurely.  They're celebrating Gwyneth's second birthday by "reverse gifting."  They're collecting preemie baby clothes to donate to the hospital where Gwyneth was born, and to another medical facility that has treated Gwyneth for the past two years.  This is a beautiful blog that I have really enjoyed following for the past eighteen months.

I have a soft spot for premature babies, as I was one myself.  I weighed 2lbs 2 oz when I arrived a month early in December, 1976.  Back then, there WERE NO preemie clothes or diapers or anything else.  My mother has told me about how they had to cut cloth diapers for me to wear.  I have friends who have had premature babies and they were difficult to find clothing for when I went shopping.  The idea of clothing being donated to these families and having just one less thing to worry about at a tumultous time in their lives.....and celebrating your child's second birthday by doing this....it's a beautiful thing!

Happy Birthday, Gwyneth!  Nate and Tricia, hope there are a lot of preemie clothes to donate as part of the celebration!

3 comments:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Pretty Cool. I donate to the March of Dimes because they made our stay in the hospital with Liv better!

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

Oh this is so cool! If I had extra money, this is totally what I would spend it on!! And I've read that blog because of your link, and the family is amazing...

Anonymous said...

As a mom to two preemies, I totally understand. We hooked up with Pals for Preemies out here in AZ. They donate new beanie toys to preemies in the NICU and help with medical bills. When Hailey had to be air-evacuated to a higher level hospital, they provided her with a very cute puppy dog that slept next to her during her stay in the NICU. It helps the babies thrive and feel warm and safe. They also gave us diapers and wipes and some money for Hailey's "helicopeter ride" to the hospital. :)